Grand Army of the Republic Museum

Grand Army of the Republic Museum
58 Andrew Street
Lynn, MA 01901

The Grand Army of the Republic Museum (originally called The Grand Army of the Republic Hall) was erected in 1885 with funds raised by local Civil War veterans for what was the largest G.A.R. post in the country. Its crowning glory is the enormous 56' x 46' main hall on the third floor, which retains the original furnishings and has walls filled with photos of Civil War veterans. Six more rooms have memorabilia from the Revolutionary War through the Korean War. The research library has an impressive built-in bookcase, which was designed and built by one of the founding veterans. On May 7, 1979, the hall was added to the National Register of Historic Places.


Weekdays 7 a.m. to 3 p.m. Call in advance.

Site Notes & Advisories: 

Many affiliated group utilize the Hall for meetings and events. Please contact the GAR for further information.


  • Historic Resources
  • Industrial Theme Trail
  • Museums

Property Owner/Organization: 

City of Lynn
Essex Coastal Scenic Byway
Rail Trail
Rail Trail Trailhead