Rocks Village Architectural Tour

Photo from the Rocks Village Architectural Tour
Rocks Village Architectural Tour during Trails & Sails 2014


April 11, 2015, 11:00 AM


55 East Main Street, Haverhill, MA, 01830

Join Essex Heritage and the Buttonwoods Museum for an architectural tour of Rocks Village -- one of Haverhill's oldest neighborhoods!

Rocks Village was home to Haverhill's early ship building industry, but has remained largely residential since the late 1700s. As a result, much of the 18th century architecture still stands today. Highlighting new research by historic preservation intern, Samantha Krenzer, don't miss your chance to explore the historic architecture of the Rocks Village Historic District, listed in the National Register of Historic Places.

Note:  Please come prepared to walk -- comfortable shoes are encouraged. No restrooms. Suitable for ages 12 and up.

Reservations required. Tickets - SOLD OUT.

Questions? Call Essex Heritage at 978-740-0444.

About Rocks Village Historic District

Rocks Village, in Haverhill's East Parish, was settled circa 1643. A ferry was established soon after. East Broadway, one of the oldest roads in Haverhill, leads into Rocks Village which then follows along the Merrimack River into Merrimacport. In the 18th century, Rocks Village evolved into a maritime site. Several of Haverhill's shipyards were located here. It was also a center for trade of both imported and exported goods. Comb manufacturing also carried on here. Haverhill's industrial growth in the 19th century bypassed the East Parish, preserving much of the rural Georgian architecture. Among structures of interest are the hand-cranked drawbridge and the firehouse. Rocks Village is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

In April 2013, The Rocks Village Memorial Association received a Partnership Grant from Essex Heritage. With the goal of sustaining the 1840 Rocks Village Hand Tub House (fire station) as an educational resource and community activity center, the association engaged a qualified contractor to restore the roof of the city-owned historic building. The hand tub house is located on the banks of the Merrimack River in the Rocks Village section of Haverhill's East Parish.