Mark your calendars now to join us to once again celebrate our region’s distinctive history, breathtaking landscapes and hidden gems! Trails & Sails: Two Weekends of Walks and Water, will take place September 19-21 & September 26-28, 2014.
The Trails & Sails 2014 event listing will appear here on August 1, 2014!
Can't wait until September? You can make Trails & Sails last all year long by becoming an Essex Heritage member! As an Essex Heritage member there are many opportunities to connect to and support the resources in this region. Join us!
Get creative, get involved, and start planning your events--event submission has begun! We seek all kinds of experiences and invite any heritage organization or business to consider offering a unique, free event that provides residents and visitors the chance to connect and experience your special place. It's a great way to build public awareness and audience for your cause, mission and organization.
Get Involved: Email Emily to add your site or organization to the Trails & Sails 2014 lineup! The submission deadline for events to be included in the printed guides is on Friday, June 20, 2014.
About Trails & Sails 2013
Thank you to all Trails & Sails event hosts, participants, volunteers and sponsors for making the 12th annual Trails & Sails: Two Weekend of Walks & Water such a success!
The 2013 event line-up offered hundreds of opportunities to connect people to the special places and organizations that comprise the Essex National Heritage Area. We thank the 100+ site hosts for opening their doors and scheduling 200+ Trails & Sails experiences. We could not present this event without your enthusiasm! Essex Heritage estimates that a record breaking 5,000+ people participants have been recorded at Trails & Sails events extending throughout the 34 cities and towns of Essex County.
- Visit Essex Heritage's Facebook page to see and share photos from the weekend festivities.
- Download the printed guide to Trails & Sails 2013 (pdf). Please note this is a large file that make take a few minutes to download.
Trails & Sails 2013 People’s Choice Awards: Essex Heritage is very grateful to the hundreds of organizations, event leaders and businesses that opened their doors and created experiences that continue to thrill and delight residents and visitors alike. Please join us in applauding the five events (listed in alpha order!) that got the most votes from participants to recieve the 2013 People’s Choice Awards:
- Digging for History at the Homestead, hosted by Danvers Alarm List Company & Rebecca Nurse Homestead, Danvers
- Historic Ice House Tours, hosted by Cape Pond Ice Company, Gloucester
- Hopper's Houses Walking Tour, hosted by Cape Ann Museum, Gloucester
- Salem and the Abolitionist Movement, hosted by Historic Salem, Inc.,Salem
- Talking Walls of Gloucester, hosted by the Gloucester Committee for the Arts, Gloucester.
Participant Challenge Prize Winner: Many thanks to REI for generously donating an In-Camp 4 person tent to the Trails & Sails 2013 Participant Challenge. Congratulations to the 2013 Participant Challenge winner: Joan F. of Methuen!