THANK YOU to all Trails & Sails event hosts, participants, volunteers and sponsors for making the 12th annual Trails & Sails: Two Weekend of Walks & Water such a success!
The 2013 event line-up offered hundreds of opportunities to connect people to the special places and organizations that comprise the Essex National Heritage Area. We thank the 100+ site hosts for opening their doors and scheduling 200+ Trails & Sails experiences. We could not present this event without your enthusiasm! Essex Heritage estimates that a record breaking 5,000+ people participants have been recorded at Trails & Sails events extending throughout the 34 cities and towns of Essex County.
- Visit Essex Heritage's Facebook page to see and share photos from the weekend festivities.
- Download the printed guide to Trails & Sails 2013 (pdf). Please note this is a large file that make take a few minutes to download.
Trails & Sails 2013 People’s Choice Awards
Essex Heritage is very grateful to the hundreds of organizations, event leaders and businesses that opened their doors and created experiences that continue to thrill and delight residents and visitors alike. Every year, Essex Heritage presents the "People’s Choice Awards" based on participant feedback. Please join us in applauding the five events (listed in alpha order) that received the most votes from participants. The 2013 “People’s Choice Awards” go to:
- Digging for History at the Homestead, hosted by Danvers Alarm List Company & Rebecca Nurse Homestead, Danvers
- Historic Ice House Tours, hosted by Cape Pond Ice Company, Gloucester
- Hopper's Houses Walking Tour, hosted by Cape Ann Museum, Gloucester
- Salem and the Abolitionist Movement, hosted by Historic Salem, Inc.,Salem
- Talking Walls of Gloucester, hosted by the Gloucester Committee for the Arts, Gloucester.
Participant Challenge Prize Winner
Essex Heritage is also grateful to REI for generously donating an In-Camp 4 person tent to the Trails & Sails 2013 Participant Challenge. Trails & Sails participants were challenged to attend as many unique events as possible over the two weekends in order to be entered to win the tent from REI. Congratulations to the 2013 Participant Challenge winner: Joan F. of Methuen!
Remember, you can support many of the Trails & Sails event host sites by visiting or participating in their special events and activities throughout the year. You can also make Trails & Sails last all year long by becoming an Essex Heritage member! As a member of the Essex National Heritage Commission there are many opportunities to connect to resources in this region. These connections foster stewardship enriching both your life and ensuring the longevity of the natural, historic and cultural treasures here in Essex County, Massachusetts.